Integrating palliative care into broad population management strategies is important to improving the quality of care for individuals with serious illness. This toolkit provides a roadmap for health plans and accountable care organizations to focus on six essential strategies for serious illness care by modifying workflows, policies, and procedures.
The toolkit describes each of the following strategies, including best practices, how to get started, and practical considerations for implementation:
- Proactive identification;
- Engagement and assessment;
- Services and benefit design;
- Provider network;
- Payment and incentives; and
- Measurement and evaluation.
- How can health plans and accountable care organizations successfully integrate palliative care into population management?